[cups] Cups 1.7.5: Paper tray/feeder not free for printer

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Sat Mar 17 09:26:52 PDT 2018

> Am 16.03.2018 um 13:10 schrieb Rolf-Werner Eilert <rwe-sse at osnanet.de <mailto:rwe-sse at osnanet.de>>:
>
> Helge, this is the PPD as annex - if I find it cannot be sent as annex, I will post it.
>
> Rolf

Well, the PDF-oriented workflow implemented by the cups-filters package do not
(as performed by the e.g. pstops filter in the PostScript oriented workflow)
copy the values of the PPD keywords (usually containing PostScript snippets)
verbatim to the print data stream but only what the developers think to be
essential and common to a sort of "generic“ PostScript interpreter.

THus, when using the
*InputSLot Internal
(or *InputSLot Tray1 , which is the same)

Thus the string
"statusdict begin 0 setpapertray end“
is ignored.

From my experience with dozens of PS interpreters I think that this setting
causes this PS interpreter checking if the manual tray is loaded with a sheet
and using this for the first page.

I think the only way to settle this issue is to revert to the PostScript oriented
workflow at least for this(this kind of) printer(s)

Helge