[cups] New Printer Recommendation

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 05:14:33 PDT 2018

I have a Brother MFC-J625DW. In the last week or so, it stopped printing
magenta. I replaced the cartridge, ran a clean cycle a couple times, etc. I
use third-party ink cartridges (but I don't refill). I'm ready to buy a new
printer (please let me know if you have any suggestions that take less than
4 hours for a noob that have some chance of success!).

What should I get? I'm looking for GNU/Linux compatibilty, and low cost per
page. This Brother is *very* low cost per page with third-party cartridges.
Beats laser printers even with Official Brother ink cartridges, but with
third-party cartridges, it leaves them in the dust.

I'm looking at https://www.thinkpenguin.com/catalog/printer-all-one-gnulinux
which seems promising. I understand that HP, Brother, and perhaps Epson are
particularly GNU/Linux friendly. What else should I know?

I'm of the opinion that the best person to ask about the quality of a
machine is the repairman, and this list does a lot of GNU/Linux printer
"repair" (configuration)!

Thanks!

In Christ,
Aaron Laws