[cups] New Printer Recommendation

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Mar 20 08:21:04 PDT 2018

On Tuesday 20 March 2018 06:37:32 Johannes Meixner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mar 20 09:43 Narcis Garcia wrote (excerpt):
> > I won't recommend HP, because opensource HPLIP does not
> > include required firmware by devices. This means when HP stops
> > serving firmware downloads, their machines will not be able
> > to be installed anymore.
>
> This only belongs to some dumb cheap low-end thingies
> (I won't call a dumb device without built-in firmware
> a printer or a scanner).
> For my testing experience at work with such thingies
> a longer time ago you may have a look at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/187049
>
> Normal printers, scanners, and all-in-one-devices
> have their needed firmware built-in and good devices
> do not need any kind of special driver software.
>
> In general see
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printer_buying_guide
> and
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Purchasing_a_Printer_and_Compatibility
> and follow the links therein.

I saw a reference to a printer test file in one of the sublinks off the
above link, but when I tried to chase it down, there was a redirect, and
I never did find the file. Going back thru it again, I still didn't find
it,

I have one of Brothers humungous MFC's, an inkjet, handles up to tabloid
(11x17) both printer and scanner.  And with brothers drivers, things
work, then don't again a week later.  And its always a lot slower than
advertised. So where can I find a copy of this printer tester file?

Thank you Johannes Meixner

One more comment below.

> FYI:
> We have at home a reasonably priced real PostScript color
> laser printer which "just works" perfectly for our needs.
> Personally I prefer a laser printer over an inkjet because
> in the past I had issues with dried inks and/or nozzles
> (if it does not work it is me who must work on it ;-)
> because at home we print rarely where rarely in particular
> means with possibly very long pauses between printouts
> (e.g. sometimes we may not print anything for month).
> Nowadays I would buy a PostScript+PDF color laser printer
> but I hope our current printer will continue to work for
> many more years.
>
> FWIW:
> Our real PostScript color laser printer is from HP.

I've not had any hp printers here, mostly based on what I've seen of the
color performance at my former place of employment, I was the CE at a tv
station the last 18 years of my working life. The lasers, like the
4550's weren't too bad, but I have good color vision, and the inkjets
used a red that was more orange than red. Sorta turned me off.

Epson uses a much more accurate red, but sadly, the last good inkjet they
made was the 4 color C-82, years ago, all the later ones suffered from
plugged nozzles, becoming useless too quickly, the last one, an NX515,
in about 3 weekS. I solved that headache with a brother color laser, but
its corona wire high voltage faded, and Brother wouldn't sell me a new
board. I am  C.E.T., so someday I'll fix it.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)