[cups] New Printer Recommendation

Axel Braun Axel.Braun at gmx.de
Tue Mar 20 09:15:10 PDT 2018

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 20. März 2018 um 11:37 Uhr
> Von: "Johannes Meixner" <jsmeix at suse.de>
> An: "The CUPS user discussion list." <cups at cups.org>
> Betreff: Re: [cups] New Printer Recommendation
>
> On Mar 20 09:43 Narcis Garcia wrote (excerpt):
> > I won't recommend HP, because opensource HPLIP does not
> > include required firmware by devices. This means when HP stops
> > serving firmware downloads, their machines will not be able
> > to be installed anymore.

HP did some time ago a silent, uncommunicated and unaligned (with the owners of the devices) firmware upgrades to their printers, causing them to fail with inks/toners from 3rd party suppliers.

As they are breaking users privacy, they are not acceptable as supplier at all. I would not want to buy their products any longer. They are on my personal blacklist.

[snip}

> FYI:
> We have at home a reasonably priced real PostScript color
> laser printer which "just works" perfectly for our needs.
> Personally I prefer a laser printer over an inkjet because
> in the past I had issues with dried inks and/or nozzles
> (if it does not work it is me who must work on it ;-)

Same here, I have already binned ink printers from various manufacturers as the ink heads were completely dryed out. Tried different things, but could not get them to work again.

I' currently using a Brother MFC 9342 CDW, which does the job for the office work, and runs well under Linux

For photo printout I prefer a professional lab, anyway.

Best
Axel