[cups] Authentication screen pops up when trying to print a test page... root username and password dont work

Dennis McGee dmcgee at oldscollege.ca
Mon Mar 26 16:06:44 PDT 2018

I have cups installed on a linux server using samba. We have used this for
a few years now and have recently changed printers.

When I changed the printer driver for a printer we had setup in cups and
then tried to print a testpage.  A screen popped up asking to Authenticate.
I type in root for the user and then the password for root but it kept
popping up to try again.

We recently changed the root passwords for all of our servers so I tried
the old password it still didn’t work.

Does anyone know where this password is kept and how I can change what it
is looking for to the new root password.

Any help is appreciated

--
Dennis McGee|Olds College|Senior Application System Analyst
dmcgee at oldscollege.ca
(403)556-8331

*[image: Olds College] <http://www.oldscollege.ca/>*