[cups] Brother vs cups, 0,1 in favor of cups

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 3 10:20:55 PDT 2018

On Saturday 03 November 2018 11:28:09 James Cloos wrote:

> I've seen that pale output when the image file was in one of adobe rgb
> and the printer expected srgb.  Or maybe the other way around?
>
> It has been a while; I cannot recall which was set which way.
>
> But a disagreement as to which rgb colour space can cause washed out
> prints.
>
> -JimC

To continue this thread, I've gone to the brother site and found an
installer script that pulled all the latest driver debs & what not,
over-writing the original i386 installs with amd64 versions. That of
course killed both the printer and scanner, But I still had, because I
had pulled them manually Thursday, all the i386 versions too, so I
opened the i386 versions of the debs with mc and clicked on the install
script for each.  So the printer is back among the living but when I
called up okular to finish the print job, it rendered in letter size,
whereas the pdf interpretor used by mc apparently told it to format for
A4, somewhat shorter and narrower than letter, so now I've a full
printout that's a tad small for 139 pages, and jumps to a full letter
sized render at page 140 by adobe count.  Its noticeably darker and much
easier to read, with all the advanced color sliders set at 0. So even if
the sliders still don't work, its good enough for most of my work, and
its about 2 to 3x faster, which is nice.

One of the things I had noticed while snooping with wireshark a year or
so back was that the first 6 wakeup packets sent had bad tcp checksums,
then it started send god checksums, but just that caused a 7 second
delay before it woke up.

But scanimage -l still can't find the scanner even with the i386 versions
of its drivers re-installed.  Its address on the local net pings just
fine, its the same as the printer, but sending FF to that address gets
no mention of there also being a scanner at that same address.

I'll reboot in few to see if udev can find it.

Thanks everyone that tried to help, the printer is now running faster and
better.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)