[cups] Brother vs cups, 0,1 in favor of cups

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 3 11:45:37 PDT 2018

On Saturday 03 November 2018 13:20:55 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 03 November 2018 11:28:09 James Cloos wrote:
> > I've seen that pale output when the image file was in one of adobe
> > rgb and the printer expected srgb.  Or maybe the other way around?
> >
> > It has been a while; I cannot recall which was set which way.
> >
> > But a disagreement as to which rgb colour space can cause washed out
> > prints.
> >
> > -JimC
>
> To continue this thread, I've gone to the brother site and found an
> installer script that pulled all the latest driver debs & what not,
> over-writing the original i386 installs with amd64 versions. That of
> course killed both the printer and scanner, But I still had, because I
> had pulled them manually Thursday, all the i386 versions too, so I
> opened the i386 versions of the debs with mc and clicked on the
> install script for each.  So the printer is back among the living but
> when I called up okular to finish the print job, it rendered in letter
> size, whereas the pdf interpretor used by mc apparently told it to
> format for A4, somewhat shorter and narrower than letter, so now I've
> a full printout that's a tad small for 139 pages, and jumps to a full
> letter sized render at page 140 by adobe count.  Its noticeably darker
> and much easier to read, with all the advanced color sliders set at 0.
> So even if the sliders still don't work, its good enough for most of
> my work, and its about 2 to 3x faster, which is nice.
>
> One of the things I had noticed while snooping with wireshark a year
> or so back was that the first 6 wakeup packets sent had bad tcp
> checksums, then it started send god checksums, but just that caused a
> 7 second delay before it woke up.
>
> But scanimage -l still can't find the scanner even with the i386
> versions of its drivers re-installed.  Its address on the local net
> pings just fine, its the same as the printer, but sending FF to that
> address gets no mention of there also being a scanner at that same
> address.
>
> I'll reboot in few to see if udev can find it.

And the log from booting complains at some length that the address is
already taken.

Since when can't the printer and the scanner live at the same ipv4
address?

They have been doing exactly that for at least 2 years.

Thanks for any help with this last problem.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)