[cups] Brother vs cups, 0,1 in favor of cups

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 13:04:08 PDT 2018

On Sat, 3 Nov 2018 at 17:21, Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:

> To continue this thread, I've gone to the brother site and found an
> installer script that pulled all the latest driver debs & what not,
> over-writing the original i386 installs with amd64 versions. That of

That script is amazing, considering that Brother say

 > I'm using a Linux 64 bit edition. Can I use the Brother Linux
printer drivers?
> Yes. Brother printer drivers are created and optimized for 32 bit version of Linux,
>  but those can be used for 64 bit Linux also. Some additional steps are required.

They then go on to give instructions.

There are no 64-bit drivers from Brother but you seem to have hunted them out.
No wonder ordinary users find printing difficult. You really must
reveal your secret
technique!

[Snip]

> But scanimage -l still can't find the scanner even with the i386 versions
> of its drivers re-installed.  Its address on the local net pings just
> fine, its the same as the printer, but sending FF to that address gets
> no mention of there also being a scanner at that same address.

"-l" is a typo, we suppose. Brother do provide instructions for a scanner setup.

--
Brian.