[cups] get a new copy of a network printers configuration

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Fri Nov 30 08:00:24 PST 2018

> Am 30.11.2018 um 07:39 schrieb Bob <cups-a5729 at listemail.net>:
>
> So far for me CUPS has just worked and I have not had to get into its workings,
> this was just great.
>
> MondayNovember 26 there was a power outage.  The next day after power was
> restored I could not print two-sided.  I could not find anywhere in CUPS GUI to
> change the printer.  I did find where I could change it in the printer itself,
> and did change Duplex from off to on.  Restarted the system but still could not
> print two-sided.  How do I get the system to recognize that the printer can
> print two-sided?
>

> System
> ASUS laptop running Ubuntu 18.10
> CUPS 2.2.8
> HP Color LaserJet MFP M277dw  -  connected as a wireless printer

I just tested installing an AirPrint capable printer (a Brother MFC printer in my case) on an Ubuntu based
Linux installation (Peppermint 9).
The printer’s PPD was generated by the driverless utility which is part of the cups-filters package.
The generated PPD is correct and reflects – as far as I can see – all features of the printer correctly,
including the duplex facility.

And, using the cups web interface (or the lpadmin utility, if you prefer command line utilities) allows
modifying the duplex default setting (which is preset to off).

But I saw – on this Linux distribution – that the printing dialogue (when printing from an application,
e.g. the firefox web browser) does not allow modifying the default settings such as color/bw or duplex etc.

So you presumably need to modify the default settings of your printer,

Helge