[cups] get a new copy of a network printers configuration

Bob cups-a5729 at listemail.net
Fri Nov 30 15:41:13 PST 2018

** Reply to message from Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com> on Fri, 30 Nov
2018 23:14:21 +0000

> On Fri 30 Nov 2018 at 14:37:10 -0800, Bob wrote:
>
> > ** Reply to message from Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com> on Fri, 30 Nov
> > 2018 13:25:04 +0000

> > > What applications are you printing from? Is the printer visible in
> > > their dialogs? Are you saying that duplex (often Two-sided Long Edge)
> > > is not offered as an option in a dialog?
> >
> > Since the power outage I had only tried to use firefox to print.  After you
> > asked I tried LibreOffice the print dialog says "Two-sided not available" yet
> > when I click the print button the document is printed two-sided.  I then opened
> > a pdf file (do not know what program was used) I also got the "Two-sided not
> > available" and it also printed two sided.  I then tried firefox same message
> > and print results as above.  So "Two-sided not available" does not seam correct
> > since the print results is two-sided, and the Two-sided option can not be
> > changed.  I think I am a little confused.
>
> I am more than a little confused. :)
>
> Would you post the outputs of
>
> 1. lpstat -e
> 2. dpkg -l cups
> 3. dpkg -l cups-browsed

robert at MARS:~$ lpstat -e
HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw
HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_BC46DE_
HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_fax

robert at MARS:~$ dpkg -l cups
||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
+++-======================-================-================-=================================================
ii  cups                   2.2.8-5ubuntu1   amd64            Common UNIX
Printing System(tm) - PPD/driver supp

robert at MARS:~$ dpkg -l cups-browsed
||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
+++-======================-================-================-=================================================
ii  cups-browsed           1.21.3-1         amd64            OpenPrinting CUPS
Filters - cups-browsed
robert at MARS:~$

> when run from a terminal? Would you also post what is displayed in the
> firefox print dialog?

Print to file
HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw
HP_Color_LaserJet_MFP_M277dw_BC46DE_