[cups] Sending mail from a CentOS7 virtual machine to Fuji Xerox ApeosPort-IV C4475 problem revisted

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 21:56:55 PDT 2018

On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 1:47 PM マスターズ・イアン <ian at ncsa.jp> wrote:

> > You could run the filters by hand first, I mean, just any file, run the
> > filter on it and see if the output really does the insertions.
> > If that works, at least you know the script itself works, permissions
> aside.
>
> OK, I need to work out how to do that ...

Hmm, that should be simple linux command line, input file and output file
with pipes I imagine.
e.g.,
cat <file> | filter
The filter then output something to the command line (standard output). If
it includes the required lines, it works. If not, it has an error.

> Then you would have to check the debug logs to see what MIME types were
> set
> > by each filter, and what the next filter was, etc.
> > This would all be in the debug logs I believe.
>
> I'm wading out of my depth but I'll give it a go ... at least until my
> head hurts too much ...

OK. Well, reading a debug log and looking for filter names should not be
too hard, and seeing whether a filter is in there or not is the first step.
If it is not there, clearly MIME types or filter weights are a problem, if
it is in there (but has some error) the log will say why. Presuming you
could check it actually works as designed, CUPS won't tell you if the
filter performed the task you expected, just that it executed.

> Many thanks for your help so far Gernot. This has been quite eye-opening,
> though I'm still finding the learning curve a little steep ;-)

Cheers!
Gernot