[cups] Sending mail from a CentOS7 virtual machine to Fuji Xerox ApeosPort-IV C4475 problem revisted

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:24:35 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 3:04 PM マスターズ・イアン <ian at ncsa.jp> wrote:

> Hi Gernot
>
> I've answered inline below ...

Hi Ian,

> OK, I did exactly as you did, just to check that I got the same result,
> and I did.
> Then I tried to to the same to my '.prn' file saved under /tmp/... etc,
> and that was OK too.

Great!
 /../

After doing that, I can now see those 4 lines filled in correctly, and the
> job is arriving at the printer, and accessible in my queue after
> authenticating with my card, but the document is still zero pages long.

Good, so you are getting content into your file now.
So you could check that the linux print file has the same PJL lines as the
Windows print file, and in the same logical positions? (after/before
something specific)
And nothing else missing in the linux file that is in the Windows one?

The problem doesn't appear to be the authorization, but I'm not really sure
> what it could be ...
> For laffs (or maybe I mean tears), I tried using the CentOS5 mimefx.convs
> with 4 lines, but the result was the same.
> So, to repeat myself, I can successfully send a .prn made on Windows to
> the Xerox printer from CentOS7, but not a .prn made on the CentOS7 guest.
> Not sure what to do next ... I'll let it mull in my brain a bit

Maybe not the right driver? Maybe the printer just does not understand the
particular format CUPS is producing for it?

How about taking a Windows printjob, stripping out the PJL lines, then
passing that printjob through your filters to see if the output can be
printed?
Then at least you will know that an original printjob with those particular
lines automatically added to it by your filters will work.
What other differences there might be you would probably be best served by
examining the Windows printjob more thoroughly first to see if you missed
anything.

p.s. On your blog, "Step 2: Add to line mimefx.convs" should be "Step 2:
> Add line to mimefx.convs". It's a very small thing, but it might you having
> to answer mails about it from people who are as confused as I am about this.

OK, I will make the grammar correction.
Thank you,
Gernot