[cups] looking for clues in a brother MFC-J6920DW install thats not working correctly

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Oct 19 08:59:20 PDT 2018

Greetings;

This install is on debian wheezy, with cups 1.5.3, using the brother
supplied drivers.

htttp://localhost:631/printers/MDCJ6920DW/printers/set default options,
has a section called advanced color which gives 5 options
a brightness trim of -19 to +19
a contrast   trim ''  '' ''  ''
a red        trim ''  '' ''  ''
a green       ''  ''  '' ''  ''
a blue        ''  ''  '' ''  ''
There is also a color enhancement on/off on that screen, and a 3 position
switch on the adjacent screen to the left for none-natural-vivid.
With vivid, the test page is very pastel, and the grey scale bar has a
white band about 1/16" wide at what should be the black end of that
scale. The only setting there that seems to have any effect is none,
where it might be using 5% more ink,

None of the options on the advanced color screen have any effect, as if
its in the extreme ink saver mode.  And it is, an ink tank lasts several
reams of paper.
Looking in /var/spool/cups, at the cxxxx files. none of the advanced
color settings are getting to those files, so in /var/log/cups/error_log
I see 18 lines from the experiments just now, that report this:

W [19/Oct/2018:11:14:51 -0400] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile
id 'MFCJ6920DW-Gray..' already exists

W [19/Oct/2018:11:14:51 -0400] failed to CreateProfile:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:profile id 'MFCJ6920DW-RGB..'
already exists

W [19/Oct/2018:11:14:51 -0400] failed to CreateDevice:
org.freedesktop.ColorManager.AlreadyExists:device id 'cups-MFCJ6920DW'
already exists

Is this something I can fix by diddling perms and such? Heck, I don't
even know where those "profiles" live, they are not something I have
tripped over yet. Reading /etc/cups/cups-files it says nothing should
resolve to user 0 for security reasons, yet the only file in that
directory that is not owned by root is the brprinter-install file which
I own as 1st user.

What can I do to straighten out this mess?

Too much info argues with itself.

Many thanks for help.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett