[cups] Dell Color-Laser-1320c

Josef Moosbauer josef at moosbauer.net
Thu Oct 25 09:45:31 PDT 2018

Thank you, Brian

So I said it stopped working and what I mean by that is as a lpd
network printer. I plugged it in via the usb interface and it was
detected by stretch by Cups as a Dell Color-Laser-1320c. But stretch
was complaining about missing "printer driver". So I selected FX
DocuPrint C525 A-AP which did work before and voila it worked like
magic again (The FX DocuPrint C525 A-AP can be downloaded as rpm from
FX driver side - alien - and you get a deb - it is i386 only -
multiarch to the rescue just in case - for your convenience the deb is
at https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_RcGMBoRN_qmuR_EeUoIoLb6SqDSO0D/vi
ew?usp=sharing).
So lpd (aka networking) now. I just added a new printer with the URI
lpd://IPorHostname:515/PASSTHRU, the same drivers and settings as with
the usb.
So simple and stupid. The only thing I really struggle is I do not know
why it works. But it still may help and save one more old printer
ending up in the bin.
And I trust there are a lot of knowledge people on this list who might
know the answer

Josef