[cups] PDF emulation

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 05:33:22 PDT 2018

I think I have a fair idea of what "PostScript emulation" means in a
vendor's literature when describing a printer's capabilities. Searching
reveals that vendor's were loath to use what Adobe provided, so created
their own versions to put on their devices.

PCL emulation appears not to be documented, but a guess would be that
vendors devised their own PCL interpreters to emulate HP's version.

How about "PDF emulation"? What is this emulating? Or does it simply
mean "This printer can print a PDF"? Maybe by converting to PostScript?
And is PDF Direct the same thing?

--
brian.