[cups] Control Characters

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Tue Sep 4 12:50:33 PDT 2018

In regard to: [cups] Control Characters, Khalid Paden said (at 11:54am on...:

> I am moving from VMS to Linux(cups).
>
> The VMS system has files with escape/control characters that are prepended
> to every print job. Each printer has a different control file associated
> with it. How do I perform this with cups?

CUPS has a powerful job filtering mechanism.  If you know what
control characters are needed for each printer, you can probably write
some custom filters (or use ones that already exist, if they do what you
need).

You probably want to spend some time reading here:

 	https://www.cups.org/documentation.html

Pay particular attention to the documentation on filtering and backends,
as this may fill in some of the information you need.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)