[cups] Missing letters into printed pdf docs

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 03:28:08 PDT 2018

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 08:49, Philippe Lefèvre <ph.l at libertysurf.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I already sent this question yesterday and as I didn't had any feedback
> and can't see it today into yesterday archives I suppose this is due to
> the fact I was not recorded into the cups user list.
> This is done now and I post it again. Thousand of pardons if I'm wrong.
>
> I'm faced to an issue (encountered for a long time) that I first
> believed it was from the evince software.
>
> When I push a PDF document to my printer via CUPS, some letters (mainly
> low case letters i and l ) are not printed.
> That document is well displayed (with all letters) with evince and other
> PDF like softwares.

Is this an issue with all (or most) PDF documents printed from Evince?

Evince converts the submitted PDF to another PDF using Cairo before
sending it to CUPS/cups-filters.

> This morning I tried to print this same document via another software
> (Master Editor PDF 4) which do not use CUPS and all letters were well
> printed.
> (I don't know what is used by Master Editor PDF to print PDF docs ....
> may be lpr?)

Master Editor PDF also converts the submitted PDF to another PDF but
uses Qt. CUPS/cups-filters is still used because it is all you have on your
system for printing.

> Is this a known issue, how could I fix it?
>
> I'm running Debian Jessie (8.11) up to date
> CUPS version : 1.7.5 (official Debian package version for Jessie)

Take a problem PDF and print with

  lp -d <print_queue> <PDF>

How do you go on?

--