[cups] Missing letters into printed pdf docs

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:11:26 PDT 2018

On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 at 13:18, Philippe Lefèvre <ph.l at libertysurf.fr> wrote:

> Thank you very much for your replay Brian.
>
> This issue comes only with certain PDFs, always the same. (Those which
> are sent by my Bank).

I've seen this sort of thing before, where it is only PDFs from a certain
source that cause a problem. My dim recollection is that embedded
fonts are at the root of it. (pdffonts will tell you what is in the PDF).

> I never noticed this trouble with other PDFs, reason why I first thought
> it is an Evince issue.
>
> The command line  lp -d <print_queue> <PDF> you suggest works well. All
> letters are present.

This gives you a workaround that probably fulfills your primary purpose.

> So it seems to suggest that this it is not a CUPS trouble.

It does, but have a go at this. Display a file with Evince and then print it
to file (a PDF). This is the Cairo file which Evince would send to CUPS.
Print this file with lp -d.....   as before.

> Do you think I should have a look with Evince/Cairo (I don't know well
> these pieces of software but I'm going to crawl deeper in that way if
> needed)

I do not use Evince myself but I suppose you could report a bug. Even
if there is one and it is fixed. it would not be applied in jessie because
it is not a security fix. OTOH you could upgrade to stretch and see what
happens.

BTW; what printer model are you using?

--
Brian.