[cups] CUPS won't send my user name to the printer

マスターズ イアン ian at ncsa.jp
Sun Sep 9 19:00:30 PDT 2018

Hi again folks

As I previously mentioned in a previous post, I don't have administrative access to the Fuji Xerox I want to print to from my CentOS7 virtual machine, but I got someone to print out the printer's log files for me.

It shows that the jobs I'm sending are not accompanied by my user name, which is required, so the printer is throwing the jobs away.

Looking at the CUPS access log, for any job sent to the printer, the username is not present in the 3rd column of the log.

So now I need to try to make sure that CUPS sends the username, otherwise the printer will not print my job.

These are the things I've tried so far:

1. I made an account on the CentOS VM with the same 4 digit username which is authorised to print to the printer.

2. Using the required fxlputil utility, setting the job type to 'Secure Print' and user ID to my username (my 4 digit number).

3. In /etc/cups/client.conf:
User <username>

4. In /etc/cups/printers.conf
DeviceURI lpd://<username>:@<printer IP>
Option job-originating-user-name <username>

5. From command line:
lp -U <username> -d <CUPS printer name> <filename>

What else can I try?

Thanks

ian