[cups] CUPS won't send my user name to the printer

マスターズ イアン ian at ncsa.jp
Mon Sep 10 16:53:26 PDT 2018

Hi Michael

Thanks very much for your helpful comments. I've answered inline below.

> That's just the "authenticated user" for the requests.  CUPS still accepts and passes through the (unauthenticated) local username ("ian", "bob", "mike", etc.).

But our company's printer policy requires the username to allow printing and if the username doesn't get passed with the print job, the printer discards it.

>>  1. I made an account on the CentOS VM with the same 4 digit username which is authorised to print to the printer.

> That's likely to cause some problems (user names are supposed to start with a letter so they are not confused for UIDs).

OK, I can try to ask for another username. Strangely CentOS didn't complain about that, though when I tried on Ubuntu, it tried to stop me.

>>  2. Using the required fxlputil utility, setting the job type to 'Secure Print' and user ID to my username (my 4 digit number).

> That right there can be a problem - if they aren't using the standard printing system interfaces then you WILL have problems, guaranteed!

Great. But useful to know.

>>  3. In /etc/cups/client.conf:
>>  User <username>

> That will change the default user when talking to CUPS, and the default username that gets passed over IPP to printers.

By this point, I was grasping at straws, to try and get *something* to work.

>>  4. In /etc/cups/printers.conf
>>  DeviceURI lpd://<username>:@<printer IP>
>>  Option job-originating-user-name <username>

> You can't set the job-originating-user-name value this way - it gets copied from either the authenticated username or the one passed in the requesting-user-name attribute of the print request (what you've overridden in the client.conf file).

OK, I'll remove that.

>>  What else can I try?

> Hard to say since this printer obviously isn't following standards...  Maybe call Fuji Xerox and ask them for help?

I tried to do that. Although they supplied the driver and print utility, they refuse to give any support. Probably because they had too many support complaining calls.

I'll try a bit more using your suggestions and Joel's and then stop wasting my time. This was mainly for teaching members of my company about Linux as it's predominantly a Windows environment. There aren't any other printers that I know of so that'll probably be the end of the matter. Shame.