[cups] CUPS won't send my user name to the printer

マスターズ イアン ian at ncsa.jp
Tue Sep 11 19:03:40 PDT 2018

Hi again Gernot (and anyone else who hasn't got bored of this conversation)

A quick update on my progress.

After correcting some mistakes here and there, my test.txt file is still arriving at the printer as test_txt, which according to a member of staff here, could be preventing it from printing. I'm not convinced that is the case, but it may be indicative of a problem elsewhere. Normally (under Windows) files do appear to arrive at the printer with their file suffixes intact.

Any idea what could be causing that?

By the way, I'm printing via LPD as trying to print via socket produces an error from the printer.

I also did a wireshark capture so I could try to see what CUPS is sending to the printer and it looks like it's sending the file as test_txt, so it's not anything that the printer is doing to the file after it receives it.

I feel I'm getting closer but I'm not sure how to get to the finish line yet ...

Any more ideas would be very welcome. I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks

ian