[cups] CUPS won't send my user name to the printer

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 11:09:09 PDT 2018

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 15:50, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> To set up a test printer:
>
> 1) Add support for file output in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> FileDevice Yes

OK.

> then restart:
> /etc/init.d/cups restart

OK, but 'service cups restart' should suit a system with any init system.

> 2) Set up printer queue
> lpadmin -p foofile -v file:/tmp/fee

This is a raw queue. Raw queues do not work with file: device queues,

.> create location:
> mkdir /tmp/fee

Not needed. fee is created when printed to.

> 3) activate printer in interface:
> http://localhost:631

Or use "-E" at the end of the line above when setting up the queue.

> 4) You can see it here:
> /etc/cups/printers.conf

Or with 'lpstat -a'.

> where you can also change existing printers to use similar queues.

That can be done  by issuing an lpadmin command with a different
destination for -v.

--
Brian.