[cups] CUPS won't send my user name to the printer

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 16:29:01 PDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 3:09 AM, Brian Potkin <claremont102 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 at 15:50, Gernot Hassenpflug <aikishugyo at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > To set up a test printer:
> >
> > 1) Add support for file output in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
> > FileDevice Yes
>
> OK.
>
> > then restart:
> > /etc/init.d/cups restart
>
> OK, but 'service cups restart' should suit a system with any init system.

Hi Brian, thank you for the comments. The content was pasted from 2012,
nice to get some updates, and fix and mistakes I may have made when
documenting, since I use the raw file printer all the time at home but
never needed to set it up again.

> > 2) Set up printer queue
> > lpadmin -p foofile -v file:/tmp/fee
>
> This is a raw queue. Raw queues do not work with file: device queues,

Hmm, maybe create with "parallel" first, then edit the
/etc/cups/printers.conf (presumably with cups* stopped first).
My content for that particular printer shows:
DeviceURI file:/tmp/foo

> .> create location:
> > mkdir /tmp/fee
>
> Not needed. fee is created when printed to.

Yes, true. And that should not be a directory. Definitely a mistake in my
documentation. Files are not put in a directory, they are printed directly
to the file named as such.

> > 3) activate printer in interface:
> > http://localhost:631
>
> Or use "-E" at the end of the line above when setting up the queue.
>
> > 4) You can see it here:
> > /etc/cups/printers.conf
>
> Or with 'lpstat -a'.
>
> > where you can also change existing printers to use similar queues.
>
> That can be done  by issuing an lpadmin command with a different
> destination for -v.

Any other comments much appreciated. I could not find any compact document
online detailing how to do this, so I had reposted content from an old
email to myself.
Would be good to summarize in a very quick simple and up-to-date howto
based on the above comments.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug