[cups] Setting up a file printer under CentOS7

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:54:04 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 10:37 AM マスターズ・イアン <ian at ncsa.jp> wrote:

> > Oh, I misunderstood. I thought your "ls" command had shown the printfile
> created by your fileprinter.
> > Yes, of course, you need to do the instructions as, um, instructed :-)
> So for example I use /tmp/foo as the filename in the lpadmin command.
>
> For convenience, I changed mine to /tmp/foo
>
> > Another poster said you don't have to create the file on the system, but
> if nothing is created you need to check your /var/log/messages and cups
> debug to see if your new printer tried and could not create the file.
>
> No file created after printing:
> [root at centos7-001 ~]# ls -l /tmp/foo
> ls: /tmp/foo にアクセスできません: そのようなファイルやディレクトリはありません
>
> No error message in /var/log/messages:
> [root at centos7-001 ~]# grep foo /var/log/messages
> (nothing)
>
> Nothing in /var/log/cups/* except for:
> [root at centos7-001 ~]# grep foo /var/log/cups/*
> /var/log/cups/error_log:I [14/Sep/2018:10:27:17 +0900] Setting PrintToFile
> device-uri to "file:/tmp/foo" (was "file:/tmp/p2f".)

I don't think you are sending anything, else there would be a lot of CUPS
stuff there for your printjob. You cannot easily try to debug a non-working
filter chain and the creation of  new printer (the file printer).
I suggest you got to your CUPS interface at localhost:631 with Firefox, set
a normal driver (any printer supported in gutenprint will do) to use this
(file)printer, and then do a test print from Firefox.
Since you have set CUPS logging to debug, you will see all the parameters
used by CUPS to create the job, how gutenprint finalized them, and then the
final output will go to the file instead of to the physical printer.
Once you have the (file)printer working, then switch the driver back to the
Xerox driver and do the same debugging.