[cups] Setting up a file printer under CentOS7

Gernot Hassenpflug aikishugyo at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 23:09:12 PDT 2018

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM マスターズ・イアン <ian at ncsa.jp> wrote:

> > I don't think you are sending anything, else there would be a lot of
> CUPS stuff there for your printjob. You cannot easily try to debug a
> non-working filter chain and the creation of  new printer (the file
> printer).
>
> You were right. I wasn't sending anything.

Hi Ian,
Looks like some progress there, nice to see you swallowed all the natto :D

> When I looked at the print queue in the GUI, the queue had stopped. I
> right-clicked on the job and selected 'reprint' and the job completed.
>
> Then when I checked, the file had been created at:
>
> /tmp/systemd-private-50d346fc75b8442ba768bceb72f73085-cups.service-qiUhzv/tmp/foo
>
> [root at centos7-001 ~]# ls -lh
> /tmp/systemd-private-50d346fc75b8442ba768bceb72f73085-cups.service-nZYIXk/tmp/foo
> -rw------- 1 root root 13K  9月 14 13:39
> /tmp/systemd-private-50d346fc75b8442ba768bceb72f73085-cups.service-nZYIXk/tmp/foo

So that is where it goes there days... not just /tmp/foo, maybe CUPS
changed (because of system-wide permissions issues) to local paths.

Then I sent the file to my printer:
> lpr -P 11f1 -o raw
> /tmp/systemd-private-50d346fc75b8442ba768bceb72f73085-cups.service-2PcX8m/tmp/foo
>
> After solving another authentication problem, the file was sent but
> nothing at all at the printer, although it went through 11f1, which
> previously managed to send something albeit a 0 page file, to the printer.

OK, nice.

> I'll start looking at the error log now to see what I can find.

 Maybe you can check the printfile to see what the PJL  parameters included
in the final printjob are, and if they are what you want/need in comparison
with an equivalent working printjob from Windows or someplace.
Apart from anything in the error log that is.

Cheers,
Gernot Hassenpflug