[cups] printer-state-message="Filter failed" ? is it cups, ghostscript, or other?

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 09:19:26 PDT 2019

This problem also got reported to Debian

and to Arch Linux

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/62251

and the report for Arch Linux helped me to solve the problem.

There they have found an alternative method for the Ghostscript call to
determine the number of pages of a PDF file and also talked with the
Ghostscript developers on IRC to confirm the need of the change.

The old call used the undocumented internal "pdfdict" of Ghostscript
which from Ghostscript 9.27 on is not accessible any more for security
reasons. Now I have changed foomatic-rip to use the call suggested in
the Arch Linux bug report using "runpdfbegin".

See

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups-filters/commit/297cc2d

I have issued the new 1.22.5 release of cups-filters now which contains
the fix.

    Till