[cups] Unable to add a printer

Znoteer znoteer at mailbox.org
Mon Apr 29 11:05:35 PDT 2019

Hi,

I've just reinstalled Debian 9.9 and cups to a computer.  I have an HP
LaserJet 6P attached via USB cable.  I am unable to add the printer to cups.

When I click the Add Printer button, there are 4 Local Printers options: 1)
HP Printer (HPLIP), 2) Serial Port #1, 3) Unknown and 4) HP Fax (HPLIP).  If
I choose option 1 and click Continue, I am either immediately returned to
the Admininstration page or I am sent to the page where I can define the
Connection.  If I do get that far, attempt to define a connection, and click
on Continue, I am immediately returned to the Administration page and no
printers are listed under the printers tab.

If I choose option 2 (serial port #1), when I click Continue, either I am
returned immediately to the Administration page, or I am give the
opportunity to configure the serial port which is identified as
serial://dev/ttyS0.  If I do get as far as configuring the serial port, when
I click continue, I am immediately returned to the Administration page and
no printers are listed under the Printers tab.

Option 3 seems to reliably send me to the next step in the configuration
where the Connection is defined as usb://Unknown/Printer.  However, once I
provide a Name and a Description, and click on the Continue button, I am
immediately returned to the Administration page without having added a
printer.

Option 4 makes no sense since this is not a fax machine, but I have tried it
anyway.  I get to the page where I can define the Connection, but when I
click continue, I am immediately returned to the Administration page and no
printer is added.

I have tried this several times, and each time it is the same result: no
printer is added to the configuration.

I've enabled debug output, but the only error I see in the cups error log is
"<time stamp> [cups-deviced] PID <pid> (gutenprint52+usb) stopped with
status 1!".  Searching for that on the web returns 2 hits with the words
"stopped with status 1", neither of which match my circumstances.

I've also tried purging and reinstalling cups twice with no change in the
outcome.  That's about the extent of my trouble shooting capablities.  Can
anyone suggest where to go from here to get my printer added?

Thanks,

--
Znoteer
znoteer at mailbox.org