[cups] HP Photosmart d110 prints slowly in one machine but normally lon another

Elton Carvalho eltonfc at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 19:37:25 PST 2019

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll address your points inline:

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 12:11 AM Gene Heskett <gheskett at shentel.net> wrote:
> 1. I suspect the pi is buffering the whole job before sending it on to
> the printer.

I don't think that's the case, because:
a) Printing stops in the middle of the page.
b) The behavior is identical to printing from windows without the pi

> 2. I also guess the usb port feeding the printer is stuck at USB-1.1
> speeds.

That doesn't explain the identical behavior when I print via IPP (from
the pi and from windows)

> 3. You didn't say which pi.

My bad: It's a raspberry Pi 1 B running arch linux.

> I'd not expect near full speed until the pi is a pi4, with /tmp and /swap
> moved to an SSD plugged into one of its usb-3 ports. Otherwise the u-sd
> and its write speed limits can lag things too.

If the performance wasn't identical on Windows (an 8th gen i5 laptop
with sane hardware setup), that would be one of my first guesses too.
Also, this happens when printing the CUPS testpage, a 39KB PDF which
becomes a 4.6 MB PDF that prints with the same performance from the pi
via USB, from the pi via IPP and from the windows machine via IPP, but
prints quickly from a laptop running gentoo printing via IPP.

There's _something_ different in the cups setup in the linux laptop
that's not reproduced in the pi, but I can't find what it is. I'll do
some tests using the laptop and another linux distro and a fresh cups
install to see if hardware is _really_ issue, but I don't believe so.
I also have a pi 3B+ that I can test.

Cheers,
--
Elton Carvalho