[cups] Can't print remote

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 01:05:03 PST 2019

Vince - don't forget to post to the list.

On Thu 31 Jan 2019 at 22:28:29 -0500, Vince Radice wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  The OS is Fedora 28 - 64 bit on both PCs.  CUPS is 2.2.6 on both.  Both are
> up to date on fixes.
>
> The Vince2 pc tries to send print jobs to the Carol PC.
>
> I have check the doc for network printing on the CUPS site and I believe I
> have the correct values set.
>
> What value should I use for the loglevel parm?  I have tried DEBUG2 but I
> get so much output I can't figure out what is happening.  It all looks fine
> to me but I am not sure what to look for.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Vince Radice
>

> On 1/31/19 6:42 PM, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > On Tue 29 Jan 2019 at 17:41:01 -0500, Vince Radice wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > >      I have two pcs - Vince2 and Carol.  There is a Brother printer connected
> > > vis usb to Carol.  Printing from here works fine.  Carol and Vince2 are on
> > > the same network  (192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.22).  I cannot print from
> > > Vince2 to the printer unless I use a usb cable from Vince2 to the printer.
> > > When I try to print over the network CUPS responds with "Printer not
> > > responding". When I use the usb cable, printing works.
> > >
> > >      Here are the configuration files from CUPS from both pcs.  Am I doing
> > > something wrong?  What else might be needed to determine my problem?
> > Which OS(s)? What CUPS version(s)? Which pc will be used to send print
> > jobs?

Two posible routes to success. The second is based on a bit of guessing,

First: try

https://wiki.debian.org/DriverlessPrinting

Second: you can print from vince2 with a USB connection. This implies
there are Brother drivers on vince2. This is unwise:

https://wiki.debian.org/PrintQueuesCUPS#Double_Filtering

LogLevel debug is usually sufficient.

--
Brian.