[cups] debugging file auto-typing

Helge Blischke helgeblischke at web.de
Thu Feb 14 12:04:22 PST 2019

> Am 14.02.2019 um 20:33 schrieb Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu>:
>
> ---
> These jobs are coming from a print rendering service for mobile devices,
> so the job has already had format conversion done by that service.  My
> expectation is that the auto-typing code should have both
>
> 	application/pdf
> 	application/vnd.cups-raw
>
> as matching file types (pdf because the document extension is .pdf).
> In other cases when our CUPS print server receives pre-rendered PDFs,
> it always (correctly) chooses application/vnd.cups-raw as the type.
> In this case it's choosing application/pdf and then trying to do
> format conversion again.  pdftops is then failing on the file, since
> the format is no longer PDF.

I’d suggest to edit the file which defines the recognition f PDF files, probably
/usr/share/cups/mime/mime.types
and delete the file extension specification ("pdf“).
(don’t forget to restart cups then).
Then cups should no longer treat the file extension as sufficient
for auto typing but will examine the file contents according to the specified rule.

Helge