[cups] cannot authenticate

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 17 15:31:06 PST 2019

On Thursday 17 January 2019 15:35:16 Brian Potkin wrote:

> On Thu 17 Jan 2019 at 11:28:38 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 January 2019 08:10:09 Daniel Spannbauer wrote:
> > Thread hijacking, sorta, see way below.
>
> "sorta"? How about "completely"? You have made no attempt to help
> Daniel Spannbauer but have pursued your own agenda. Rather blatent
> and inexucusable behaviour for an experienced user.
>
> [Lots of snipping of irrelevancies]
>
> [...]
>
> > I've had a similar problem ever since I installed debian wheezy. I
> > had
>
> wheezy? Out-of-date; unsupported; does anyone know what Debian CUPS
> on it does? Do yourself a favour and get to stretch or, preferably,
> buster. You know it makes sense when it comes to printing. You just
> might get your modern printer to behave well with a modern OS.
>
> [...]
>
> > Some one was attempting to help me a couple months back, but dropped
> > off the radar.
>
> I thought that "some one" was very helpful and sympathetic.

That he was,and I appreciated it. But when I sent additional logs after
having built and installed a newer version of something he suggested, no
further reply's.  And since installing the new ghostscript 9.26,
overwriting the deb install just now, I still cannot clean, and a
contrast=20,red=20 still has zero effect on a test page. Something in
the data path is stripping off all the knobs we can adjust to make it
look good. If I had a path description, I could probably trace it down
myself. Cups itself was also replaced with 2.3b7, again with no effect.
No it wasn't, I just checked the build tree and see:
Linking ippserver...
/usr/bin/ld: ../cups/libcups.a(thread.o): undefined reference to
symbol 'clock_gettime@@GLIBC_2.2'
/usr/bin/ld: note: 'clock_gettime@@GLIBC_2.2' is defined in
DSO /lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 so try adding it to the linker
command line
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/librt.so.1: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
make[1]: *** [ippserver] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

Thats in fact librtai, and the .dev is installed. ld reports there are no
symbols in it. And the dev version doesn't seem to have an include for
that function.

So cups is still 1.5.3.

> Did you
> expect him to stick by your side through thick and thin?
Thats being pushy, but I did expect to get a reply with the next step to
check and see if it wasn't fixed by his first suggestions. Since my main
interest is LCNC, and non of the 64 bit installs can do more than
emulate, I'll check with the guys and see if they have a jessie install
iso for amd64 stuff.

> [...]

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)