[cups] Shared printer only prints first few characters from Windows guests

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Jan 18 03:47:05 PST 2019

Hello,

On Jan 18 09:56 May DouĊĦak wrote (excerpt):
> I connected an old HP LJ1300 to a Linux server and
> share it via cups to other computers on the network.
> Driver: "HP LaserJet 1300 - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10
> (grayscale, 2-sided printing)"
>
> Printing locally works well, same goes for printing from other
> Linux guests using "/Generic postscript printer/" driver.

Normally you don't need to run a driver on Linux clients, see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

> However, when printing from Win10 (both directly to cups -
> http://ip:631/printers/xx or via samba), documents are half-empty.
> E.g., print test page only prints printer icon and "W" letter
> (and then pushes the paper out without printing error).
>
> Prints from other applications are also not full (partially missing).
>
> I tried using "Microsoft PS Class driver", "Brother PS class driver"
> as well as "Xerox globalprint driver PS".
> There are *no* LJ1300 drivers for Win10 anymore but as shown from Linux
> guests, it should work with "generic postscript driver".

In theory using a "generic postscript driver" on Windows
should make things work but "In theory, theory and practice
are the same. In practice, they are not."

Normally you would run a driver on Windows clients and use
a "raw" queue on the Linux CUPS print server, see
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Printing_from_Windows_to_Linux

But in your case without a driver for your Windows version
things do not look promising from my current point of view.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)