[cups] cups-2.3b5 on SuSE SLES 12 and SLES 15

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Mon Jan 28 03:43:22 PST 2019

El día lunes, enero 28, 2019 a las 10:54:52a. m. +0100, Johannes Meixner escribió:

> Hello,
>
> On Jan 28 09:44 Matthias Apitz wrote (excerpt):
> > we compile cups-2.3b5 on SuSE Linux SLES 12
> > to use it on SLES 12 and SLES15. It turned out,
> > that SLES 15 does not have any group 'sys'
>
> You did not tell how you compile it so I blindly guess:
>
> In the CUPS sources:
> $ ./configure --help | grep group
>    --with-cups-group       set default group for CUPS
>    --with-system-groups    set default system groups for CUPS

My question was more: why the group 'sys' (which was fine on SLES12) is
not there anymore on SLES 15.

> Accordingly in my cups.spec at
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/Printing/cups
> %configure \
>          --with-cups-user=lp \
>          --with-cups-group=lp \
>          --with-system-groups=root \
>
> By the way:
>
> CUPS 2.3b6 is available from the openSUSE Build Service
> development project "Printing" for various openSUSE
> and SUSE Linux Enterprise versions, cf.
> https://build.opensuse.org/project/show/Printing
>
> I would appreciate it if you did not compile your own CUPS
> somehow "secretly" on your own but if you could work together
> with the openSUSE community and contribute in particular
> to the openSUSE Build Service "Printing" project, see
> https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:How_to_contribute_to_the_Printing_project

The form in which CUPS is compiled in your project does not fit with our
needs for our customers. And, I'm not compiling anything "secretly". I
always said so here. Just check the archives.

	matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ guru at unixarea.de, http://www.unixarea.de/ +49-176-38902045
October, 7 -- The GDR was different: Peace instead of Bundeswehr and wars, Druschba