[cups] unsubscribe

Barton, Bernard F. bfbarton at charlesjones.com
Wed Jun 26 10:54:48 PDT 2019

-----Original Message-----
From: cups [mailto:cups-bounces at cups.org] On Behalf Of Tim Mooney
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:52 PM
To: The CUPS user discussion list. <cups at cups.org>
Subject: [External] Re: [cups] backend: open device failed for Laserjet 3010

In regard to: Re: [cups] backend: open device failed for Laserjet 3010,...:

> On 6/19/19 8:01 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:
>>
>> Are all the printers running recent firmware?
>
> We have upgraded one 3010 to version 20170106 07.250.2. According to
> HP's web page this is the most recent version. After a power cycle it
> still doesn't print.

For older printers like the 3010, my feeling is that you're best off running the latest (probably "last") firmware available.

>> Are the two 3010 printers
>> configured the same as the other printers that are working?  Correct
>> network settings and access control settings (if appropriate)?
>>

> Yes. As indicated before, all printers did work using cups
> 1.7.5-11+deb8u4 and the hpijs pcl3 drivers version 3.14.6.

Well... that's not quite the answer to the question.  Yes, they all worked before, but that doesn't actually imply that they were all configured the same.  I'm mainly trying to rule out some setting on the printer that might be impacting things.

>> Does nmap show the same set of open ports on the 3010s as on the
>> working printers?  There are probably better option sets to use with
>> nmap, but last time I needed to look at a printer, I used
>>
>>      sudo nmap -O -sV -sU -sS printerFQDN
>
> This takes an awful lot of time. Are there any specific ports or port
> ranges you have in mind?

Hmmm, it took 3 minutes and 42 seconds against an HP printer in the subnet I'm in.  This is another case of just trying to verify that you're getting identical port results between working and non-working.

> There are some messages in the log file saying

Which log file?

> E [26/Jun/2019:09:21:17 +0200] [Client 2] Unable to encrypt
> connection: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
> E [26/Jun/2019:09:21:18 +0200] [Client 5] Unable to encrypt
> connection: A TLS fatal alert has been received.
>
> Is this related?

I'm not sure, since I'm not certain which log file you're talking about, but that looks like the CUPS error_log.  I wouldn't expect that to be related to running nmap against the printer(s).

>> As a debugging point, does it make a difference if you use the hpcups
>> or PostScript PPD but use the 'socket' backend and port 9100 on the printer?
>
> Using port 9100 it worked (hooray).
>
> Would you recommend using port 9100 in general?

For HP printers, port 9100 usually works pretty reliably.  It has the benefit of having been around for a really long time, and CUPS can send jobs to the printer without having to use any of the hplip network code.

My preference these days would be to try IPP or IPPS first, and if that doesn't work reliably, then try port 9100.

I personally would avoid anything having to do with hpijs.  It's been deprecated for a long time.  Note that I'm only talking about hpijs, not hplip in general.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)
North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND 58105-5164 _______________________________________________
This message may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) named above or may contain information that is legally privileged. If you are
not the intended addressee, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended addressee,
you are hereby notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message by mistake, please immediately notify us by replying
to the message and delete the original message and any copies immediately thereafter.

If you received this email as a commercial message and would like to opt out of future commercial
messages, please let us know and we will remove you from our distribution list.

Thank you.~