[cups] Printing to remote ipp everywhere printer from a Mac

Johan Bengtsson elijah at chalmers.se
Thu Mar 28 02:42:15 PDT 2019

Hi,

We have set up an experimental Linux (Ubuntu) print server running cups
2.2.10.
Printing is authenticated with kerberos. Printing seems to work fine
from Linux clients (configured with ServerName in the local client.conf).

We add printers (on the server) like this:

lpadmin -p pm_test1 -D pm_test1 -v
ipp://sv-200-laser3.print.chalmers.se:631/ipp/print -E
-m everywhere

It's more problematic from Macs. It seems a local queue must be added:

lpadmin -E -p pm_test1 -v
ipp://printmgmt.ita.chalmers.se:631/printers/pm_test1  -m everywhere -o
printer-error-policy=retry-job -o
auth-info-required=negotiate

(is the "-o auth-info-required=negotiate" option is something that should only
be used on clients? It seems so, but where is this documented?)

We can print from this queue, but options (duplex, stapling etc.)
are completely ignored. I have only started troubleshooting this, but it seems
that the ppds created might no be so good:

> cupstestppd /etc/cups/ppd/pm_test1.ppd
/etc/cups/ppd/pm_test1.ppd: FAIL
       **FAIL**  Bad ShortNickName - longer than 31 chars.
                 REF: Pages 64-65, section 5.3.
         WARN    Size “roc16k” should be “7.75x10.75”.

The command above ran on the client, the ppd on the server passed the test.

I fixed the ppd, but options are still ignored.

Do you see something that is obviously wrong in what we are doing?
Any ideas for troubleshooting?

The Mac is running Mojave.

-Johan Bengtsson