[cups] Can't detect file type / Not a PDF file

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Thu May 2 03:29:26 PDT 2019

On Thu, May 02, 2019 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:

>The job has undergone filtering on the client.

[...]
>It then gets filtered again on the server.
>
>https://wiki.debian.org/PrintQueuesCUPS#Double_Filtering
>
>might help to explain why this is not a good idea.

Well, yes, that has been one of my concerns ever since this stopped working, but I can't see a way around it. CUPS has abandoned raw queues, I found that documented somewehere, and Windows can't print without you going though which printer you have and doesn't have raw printing either. It does have a "print to PDF" printer but that appears to just print to a local file.

So I'm still stuck... But yes, the double-filtering has puzzled me ever since this broke...

IIRC, the CUPS document describing abandoning raw queues give Microsoft XPS as the reasoning, but if I try Microsoft XPS or software printer, it crashes the printer hard.

All Google hits I've read through on setting up Windows to print to CUPS just picks the actual printer in Windows, confusingly.

So what do I need to tell Windows the printer is?

Thanks
Henrik