[cups] Can't detect file type / Not a PDF file

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Fri May 3 08:18:27 PDT 2019

On Fri, May 03, 2019 at 09:52:14AM +0100, Brian Potkin wrote:

>I do not observe this with cups-filters 1.21.6-5. It was probably fixed
>in 1.20.3 with
>
>    - gstoraster: Improved detection whether input is PostScript
>      or PDF by skipping over possible headers. Thanks to Rod
>      Schmidt (schmidtrod at q dot com) for the patch.

Ok, positive update.

Couldn't compile gstoraster on its own. Couldn't compile cups-filter package on its own, weird pkg-config dependency that wasn't easily resolvable.

Upgraded Debian from Stretch to Buster/Testing. At first sight, CUPS filters were still at version 1.11 but it turned out it just hadn't upgraded them. Manual upgrade got the to level 1.21.6-5.

It now works with the caveat that I have to use socket:// which I didn't have to before. If I use ipp the printer crashes hard. No clue why... It might be worth looking into a firmware update as it used to work.

Thanks to everyone involved :-)

Henrik