[cups] CUPS-PDf vs Virtual_PDF_Printer

Brian Potkin claremont102 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 04:14:25 PDT 2019

On Fri 03 May 2019 at 14:14:36 -0700, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:

> On 5/2/19 3:46 AM, Brian Potkin wrote:
> > On Thu 02 May 2019 at 00:24:47 -0700, Todd And Margo Chester wrote:
> >
> > > What is the difference?
> >
> > A virtual PDF printer converts a chosen file type to PDF. cups-pdf
> > is a virtual PDF printer that is specifically intended to convert
> > PostScript to PDF.
> >

> Thank you!
>
> I don't mean to be thick here, but they seems
> to do exactly the same thing, so I am failing
> to see the distinction.
>
> Maybe it would help me if you were to tell me
> under what circumstances that you would choose
> one over the other

cups-pdf is a backend that converts PostScript to PDF.

Set up this print queue:

  lpadmin -p testq -v cups-pdf:/ -E -m raw

and print with

  lp -d testq <any_postscript_file>

Only the backend is used.

This virtual PDF printer will not convert a text file or a Microsoft
Word document to PDF, but you could devise a backend that does. That
would be a different virtual PDF printer.

--
Brian.