[cups] Was on i386 wheezy, now on debian stretch, amd64 branch

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri May 17 11:03:12 PDT 2019

And still using brothers drivers since you have none for a Brother
MFC-J6920DW.

Color on good photo paper is only very slightly improved.

This ppd has 8 sets of -20 to +20 trim adjustments to balance and adjust
the colors as shown in the advanced color configuration pages under
modify printer in the menu's at localhost:631/printers -> select
printer->modify or set options.

They never worked under the version of cups for i386 wheezy, and are not
working under the version of cups that comes with amd64 stretch.  Its as
it the printer is expecting 16 bit data, but only receiving the brighter
8 bits of info, so the whole print is moderately well balanced but very
pastel, with the blackest area roughly clipped off at just a smidge
darker that a Kodak 18% grey card, flat, zero detail in the shadows.

What, other than adding the "image to ps" filter in the profile on an
individual print basis as it helps some but still not enough by quite a
bit, and is not remembered from one print to the next, can I do to
improve this printers output?

As a former color darkroom inhabitant, mixing my own recipe for color
paper developer that didn't fade from print to print, and dialing in the
colors on a dichro head equipt Bessler enlarger, this quite simply is
not a day to day workable solution. That last time I asked, you said
update to a newer version of debian and it should work, now I have. But
I can't see that it is noticeably better.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)