[cups] intermittent cups

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Sat Nov 9 05:35:26 PST 2019

On Saturday 09 November 2019 06:36:09 Steve Root wrote:

> > 192.168.71.13 - -
> > [02/Nov/2019:11:30:27 -0400] "POST /printers/MFC-J6920DW HTTP/1.1"
> > 200 86493 Print-Job client-error-not-authorized.
> >
> > cups 2.2.10 on the rpi4. How do I fix this error?
>
> I'm just putting together a new cups printer server and had this.
> Issue was printer not shared to network and only had access by users
> on cups server itself
> From my notes:
>
> 7. etc/cups/cupsd.conf
>
> <Location />
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow all  # I had to add Allow all, to access the web admin over
> the network
> </Location>
>
> 8. Restart cups with: systemctl restart cups.service
>
> 9. Go to web interface in browser, http://<ip>:631
> Check box "share printers connected to this system"
>  + check allow printing from the internet
> Nb: it will redirect you to https pages then ask for your
> username/password as per the account you added to the lpadmin group.
>
> Later note: CUPS auto installed some network shared printers, but I
> had to share those too (modify printer > accept all existing values
> but check box to share).
>
> HTH
> Steve

Unforch, marking as shared is being ignored, and the first printer I
added is a non-duplex, a now elderly brother HL2140 not only isn't
marked shared but claims its 2 sided. It did print a test page. in b&w
of course.

Going to a login on an rpi4, and starting geany against the text config
file for the hal linuxcnc interpreter, then selecting print, gets me a
ghosted list of printers available, but they are all marked as "paused
rejecting jobs".

Whats next? This is stretch here on the server, claims to be cups 2.2.1.
The rpi4 is raspbian 10.1, where cups claims 2.2.10.

Supposedly ipp protocol.

What do It does next. The next printer to be added to a new cups install
will have 3 profiles, one to print photos etc on glossy paper from tray
1. 1 to print in duplex mode on copy paper in tray 2, and on to take
tabloid paper from a rear slot.  But before I add another printer
profile, I need to fix the errors I have now.

Probably complicated by the fact that there are 3 more computers on this
network that all expect to be able to use these printers, all running
the latest wheezy. firefox claims its cups-1.5.2

Thanks.