[cups] intermittent cups

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Oct 31 15:28:41 PDT 2019

On Thursday 31 October 2019 16:50:00 Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Now Thursday, and no replies to my Monday query, except the printers
> > have now disappeared from the print requesters of another machine,
> > which co-incidentally was updated this morning. cups has been
> > restarted several times, no errors logged. Somethings sure aglay.
>
> Gene,
>
> This may have no bearing on your situation but I offer it for you to
> consider. After my former server died and I was finishing preparing
> this new server/workstaion I discovered that I could not print
> anything. To make a long story short, it tuned out that the switch on
> the LAN had also died.
>
> I replaced the old LinkSys 4-port switch with a Netgear 16-port switch
> I have here and that solved the problem.

I have 2, 8 port switches, a newer managed one here and an umanaged one
in the garage.

One of the machines on the garage switch has all the profiles showing in
its print requester, but logs no permissions in the error_log here when
I try to print something.  Another machine plugged into an adjacent
socket shows nothing but cups-pdf in that same menu. I could move cables
to see if that has an effect, tomorrow maybe.

> The lesson I learned from this is that not all printing issues are
> CUPS related. Check all the hardware in the circuit, too.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rich

Thanks Rich.

Cheers, Gene Heskett