[cups] No printers found

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Fri Sep 13 22:50:25 PDT 2019

On Friday 13 September 2019 20:59:08 Thomas George wrote:

> I was wrong. The printer is connect by an Ethernet cable to the router
>
> The printer says it is using the standard TCP/IP printing protocol
>
> TCP/IPv4 address assigned automatically. TCP/IPv6 not enabled
>
> pings from my PC are returned, no loss

But you don't disclose that address, nor do you state if its within your
local netmask. It must be.

 I have a brother b&w laser, and a brother ink squirter, a big old
monster capable of doing tabloid paper, and in its menu's I can assign
it an ipv4 address that is within my local subnet. Other than a tendency
to use too little ink, its works well. I also have a usb cable plugged
into it and am not sure which its using as I have it setup both ways in
cups as separate printers.

Firewalls can also get in the way, but on my local network in the
192.168.xx block, I am not running anything like a firewall.  Everything
is at the same xx. I am behind a router running a dd-wrt reflash, and
that is my insulation from the black hats. No one has come thru it in
nearly 20 years. Cups as a server runs on this machine, is set to share,
and all 5 local machines can print to either printer as if it was
locally attached to that machine.