[cups] CUPS, VPS/DaaS, & DDNS

Mark Ellis mlellis2012 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 18:47:25 PDT 2020

Hello; I apologize in advance for the length of this message, but I really
need some help here.

A while back, my Windows 10 Home PC broke; as the budget was tight, I
switched to a Chromebook, having heard that it could run some Windows apps;
I'm a loyal devotee to - and user of - Quicken Deluxe & MS Office 365; I
tried running them using the Codeweavers Crossover app, but I was
unsuccessful.

I came across an offering from Infosaic - DaaS (Desktop-as-a-Service); I
configured a 4GB 2.26GHz Intel Core i5 (I think it's i5) Windows 10 Pro
80GB SSD option and installed Quicken Deluxe & MS Office 365.

I have 2 HP WiFi printers that were connected to WiFi at first, but that
are now connected via USB to a Raspberry Pi 3 B+, on which I have installed
CUPS. Within my local network here at my house, I'm able to print and
everything works fine.

>From my Chromebook, I use TeamViewer to connect into the Pi and the
Infosaic DaaS remotely.  What I must have is the ability to print from the
Infosaic DaaS to my HP printers here at my house.  I tried Microsoft Remote
Desktop on my Chromebook, but I was unable to get that to work; the same
was true with Google Chrome Remote Desktop, but I'd like to avoid having to
use that because, per Google, Chrome Remote Desktop is going to
discontinued status effective Jan. 1, 2021.

As a Cox Communications residential Internet service customer, I have a
dynamic IP address, but I have a domain name with DuckDNS to address the
fact that the IP address changes from time to time.

My question is this:

How can I tell CUPS how to "find" the 2 HP printers here at my house?  As a
newbie to Linux, I will need to request specific instructions, rather than
general ones, because it'll require some understanding of my newness to
this environment.

I hope someone - or a group of someones - knows how to accomplish my goal
because I do need to print reports from Quicken, documents from MS Word,
spreadsheets from MS Excel, etc.

Mark the Auditor
Edmond, Oklahoma, United States of America