[cups] CUPS, VPS/DaaS, & DDNS

Mark L. Ellis mlellis2012 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 04:50:14 PDT 2020

KEN, I’ve tried LibreOffice before and it worked pretty well for me in terms of Office compatibility, but I also have some spreadsheets in Google Sheets format and I’ve found Sheets’ compatibility with Excel to be even higher. Thanks for the recommendation, though!

STEVE, of your ideas, I think that saving my Quicken reports  to a PDF & sending it via SFTP to the Pi to print (via SFTP, as well) is another route to get to where I want to be. Each printer does have its own @hpeprint.com e-mail address, but I know that “lag time” before a document prints some of the time (and I’ve had some not print at all, oddly enough).

Needing specific instructions on sending via SFTP and printing via SFTP, where would you recommend I go online for guidance on setting that up? My only knowledge of SFTP is what the acronym stands for; I’ve never neither set it up nor used it (but I’d be willing to learn if I could see a site where step-by-step directions are).

I know that there’s a FileZilla Server for Windows, but I don’t think there’s a similar product for the Pi, so which SFTP server would you recommend for the Pi - and which SFTP client would you recommend for the DaaS?

I have a VPN, but how exactly - when I’m away from the house - would I connect to the Pi remotely? I guess that’s where DuckDNS would enter, but what would I need to do regarding port forwarding on my Cox router?

I’m sorry - so many questions!

I really do wish the MS Remote Desktop would work, but I just don’t see any options on my Chromebook app to let my 2 local printers be “seen” by the DaaS, so I guess I’ll have to abandon that possibility.

Also, I really do wish a physical Windows computer was financially-feasible right now!

Mark
Sent from my iPhone