[cups] question about auto switching models in lpadmin?

jason welsh ncdirtbag at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 18:54:31 PDT 2020

Hey, I am running 2.3.3-2 on arch linux and its working fine for most of my
hosts.
Im connected via usb connection of a brother mfc-7340 laser printer.
I can print fine from my printer and my sons winblows box, but my wifes Mac
OSX laptop will NOT print unless I put tell it to use raw mode. i.e.
sudo lpadmin -p Brother_MFC-7340 -m raw
then for the rest of us to print, I have to put it back to "normal" with
sudo lpadmin -p Brother_MFC-7340 -m MFC7340.ppd

If I try to print from the mac with it set to the MFC7340.ppd, the cups
server says it prints the job and it shows completed, but nothing ever
comes out of the printer.

Is there a way to somehow automate this so what cups knows which driver to
use depending on the host request? Or does anyone know of how to make the
mac work like the rest ?

regards,
db