[cups] Color issues when printing via lp

Henry Betts henry at itstheflashpack.com
Mon Feb 24 15:24:33 PST 2020

Hi,

I'm having some issues printing from the command line, and I wondered if
anyone had any thoughts, or could point me in the right direction.

My system is ubuntu 18.04 and the printer driver is provided by gutenprint.
If I print an image (I am currently testing with a png) from ubuntu /
gnome's image viewer, the print comes out fine. However, if I print the
same file from the command line (i.e. *lp print.png*) then the print comes
out with the colors not looking quite right.

I can't see any mention of a color profile / icc in the printer's ppd file,
however I can see, looking at colord, that a profile has been generated and
set as the printer's default. My guess is that this is not being applied
when printing via lp.

Looking at the cups logfile, I see that the image viewer submits the job as
type application/pdf (it must convert the png to pdf beforehand) and uses
the filters:
*pdftopdf*
*gstoraster*
*rastertogutenprint*

Printing from lp uses the filters:
*imagetoraster*
*rastertogutenprint*

I had a quick look through the source code for gstoraster and
imagetoraster, and it looks like imagetoraster doesn't perform a colord
lookup, whereas gstoraster does - is this correct?
I then tried converting the png to pdf myself (*convert print.png print.pdf*)
and then printed the pdf (*lp print.pdf*). This now uses the gstoraster
filter, and I can also see in the logs that it is finding the correct
profile from colord. However, it still prints with the same color issues as
before, so I am not sure what the problem could be.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Henry

--

This email (and any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee. If you have received it in error,

Warning: Whilst we believe this email and any attachment are free of any
virus or other defect which might affect your system it is your
responsibility to ensure that this is so. We accept no liability for any
loss or damage caused in any way by its receipt or use.

Company
registration number: 08502426
Place of Registration: England &
WalesRegistered Office: 17F Clerkenwell Rd, London, EC1M 5RD