[cups] XPS proxy for cups

Martin Vogt mvogt1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 10:16:23 PST 2020

Hello list,

is there an implementation for,or some kind of, "XPS proxy" for cupsd?

XPS seems to be the preferred windows Print Driver model in
the Windows V4 Printer Driver Model [1].

On windows clients, every combination I tested, is unreliable and not
working well.
For example, I would use IPP printing on windows clients (with cups), but
its not really
supported [2], although IPP works fine [3], if it is setup correctly[4].

Even using a windows based print server in AD, which serves
"Windows Printing V3 (RPC/SMB)" to the clients, is unreliable[5].

So if IPP is not really working and even the native windows print support
needs client
reboots on regular basis, maybe there is another way?

best regards,

Martin

PS: All ~150 linux clients are working fine with cups

[1]
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/print/v4-printer-driver
https://blog.thinprint.com/the-new-microsoft-v4-printer-driver-model/
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archive/blogs/b8/simplifying-printing-in-windows-8

[2]
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/WINDOWS/en-US/0066f718-5677-47bc-b7e5-2cd3efb50087/v4-printer-drivers-and-custom-port-monitor-options?forum=wdk

[3] adding one IPP printer in a serialized process (GUI) takes too long,
but if its configured, this is working fine. (Working on around ~100
laptop.)

[4] When I scripted the installation of ~20 IPP printers on one "windows 10
client" with powershell, windows starts an overload.exe dialog, CPU fan
gets louder, windows client becomes unusable, and no printer is working at
all.

[5] From around 40 "Windows 2016 Server" as printer clients, I get from
around 1-2 in a week
an "insuffienct system recources" error, when connecting to the windows
based print server. Only a reboot of the print client helps.