[cups] Recommendation for ipp-over-usb printer

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 07:25:52 PST 2020

I have found IPP over USB on the following devices:

HP OfficeJet Pro 8730
HP DeskJet 2540 Ink Advantage

Before packaging ippusbxd, note that we have run into some problems with it and
are now about to replace it by ipp-usb:

https://github.com/alexpevzner/ipp-usb/

But note that ipp-usb for now only provides the basic functionality of
IPP(HTTP)-over-USB communication, it does not auto-start via UDEV/systemd and
does not do DNS-SD advertising of the device. This functionality we still need
to overtake from ippusbxd into ipp-usb, where the DNS-SD advertising also needs
improvement, as in ippusbxd there is hard-coded advertising for IPP printing
plus web interface only, whereas what is needed is that the daemon communicates
with the device on startup and then advertises all services, which can be:

- IPP printing
- IPP scanning
- eSCL scanning (AirScan)
- Web admin interface
- IPP System Service

See the issues and discussion there on both

https://github.com/alexpevzner/ipp-usb/
https://github.com/OpenPrinting/ippusbxd

    Till