[cups] Spooling more than one job at a time to printer

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Fri Jun 5 13:55:21 PDT 2020

In regard to: [cups] Spooling more than one job at a time to printer,...:

> Greetings all. We're using CUPS successfully on Mac OS X to spool a series
> of jobs from the command line. We run hundreds of jobs a day using this
> method. Unfortunately, these jobs all sit in the queue on my mac until the
> first job finishes, then the next one is spooled to the printer. This
> causes a significant delay between each job printing, as the next job
> doesn't spool to the printer until the first job is finished.

CUPS in general doesn't know if a destination can handle spooling its
own jobs or if they need to be sent in serial.  Traditionally, it was
one-at-a-time, so that's more or less the default behavior.

>Is there a
> way to change the behavior of cups so that the jobs all spool to the
> printer, rather than waiting until the job finishes printing?

 	https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=000017168

BTW, those options aren't anything specific to SuSE, they just have good
documentation for CUPS.

Tim
Enterprise Computing & Infrastructure /
Division of Information Technology    /                701-231-1076 (Voice)