[cups] How do I find the correct connection for a network printer?

Steve Root steve at rkbb.co.uk
Sat Mar 7 00:42:03 PST 2020

>From notes I kept on my blog, I think you are looking for 'share printers
connected to this system'

Add printers via the CUPS web interface

   1. Go to web interface in browser, http://<ip>:631

Check box “share printers connected to this system”

  + check allow printing from the internet

Nb: it will redirect you to https pages then ask for your username/password
as per the account you added to the lpadmin group.
I decided to call my print server “Mars” and setup up print queues using
the format ‘server’+’printer model name’+’optional descriptive label’

   1. Add network printers manually to print server.
      1. Administration > Add Printer
      2. Other network printers > Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
      3. Connection address: “ipp://<ip>:631”  where IP is the printer IP.
      EG: ipp://192.168.1.220:631
      4. Name “mars”+model+(dash)+description”, eg “marsP6035” for the
      default printer “marsP6035-letterhead” for magic letterhead, or maybe
      “marsP6035-duplex” for a forced duplex mode
      5. Leave the description blank (it appears in the  windows print
      dialog boxes, better for us to have useful description detail as part of
      the name).
      6. Check the box ‘share this printer’
      7. Use the manufacturer provided PPD file (mine all came from the
      manufacturers install files, in a sub directory called ../linux/eu/)
      8. Test print to make sure it works

sent from my mobile